Failure. Setbacks. Mistakes. They are all part of our lives. While you might think of them as being undesirable aspects of life that you wish to avoid, the fact is that failure is very important, and if you look at it the right way- beneficial.
How can you benefit from failing?
Here are ways failing in life can benefit you:
- It builds character: You learn more about yourself and the world around you. If you learn from your experience, you end up ensuring that you never make the same mistake again. Therefore, failure helps you in growing as a person.
- It instils compassion: Unless you have been in someone’s shoes who have made mistakes or have failed in life, it is hard for you to relate to them. It is hard for you to be compassionate truly.
- You learn perseverance: Some say that if you experience failure enough times, you grow a thick skin and become persistent in your goals. After all, once you have hit rock-bottom, there is only one direction you can go now, i.e., up. This helps people in discovering the best version of themselves.
How to overcome failure
To realize the benefits associated with failing, you must have the right attitude. You must work to overcome failure rather than sit in those feelings and start believing that you are no good. Well, here is how you can overcome failure.
- Feel: It is okay to feel hurt by your shortcomings and setbacks. You are human. You have emotions. Don’t bottle them in or try to distract yourself. Initially, allow the emotions to flood you. Face your failures rather than trying to deny them.
- Understand: Don’t just look at the incident as a reflection of yourself. You are not your mistakes. You are not your setbacks. You are bigger than that. Remind yourself that this is a bump on the road that one day you will forget about.
- Learn: Try to gain insights from your experience. What is it that caused you to fail? What can you learn from it? What should you do differently the next time you are in this situation?
Inspirational quotes to get you going
There are a lot of inspiring people that have experienced failure and have come out at the better end. J.K Rowling had to take Harry Potter to 12 publishers before one agreed to publish it. Oprah Winfrey suffered hardships, abuse, and unemployment during her early days only to become a household name later. You can learn a lot from these people. These inspirational quotes will help you.
- “There is no such thing as failure. Failure is just life trying to move us in another direction” – Oprah Winfrey
- “It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” – JK Rowling
- “I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”- Michael Jordan.
Make mistakes and learn from them. Don’t give up.